[TenTec] R-7000 Vertical Experience

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] R-7000 Vertical Experience
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 97 12:30:42 -0400
On 10/15/97 2:47 AM, K5XS@aol.com at K5XS@aol.com wrote:

>Has anyone used the R-7000 vertical?

Yes, I've had one for about a year.

>  I'm generally not a vertical kinda guy,
>but have a need for something protable to take out in the boonies with my Boy
>Scout troop (and the Omni) and am considering the R-7000.

Hmm. I wouldn't recommend trying to hike out in the boonies with one. It
is fairly bulky. If you could pull it off a truck and put it up, that
would be OK.

Also, assembly could be complicated. While you can pre-assemble parts of
it, when you put the counterpoise whips in place, they take up a lot of
space and it is kinda awkward to work with.

Plus, you need a pretty sturdy mount for it.

This is a pretty nice antenna. Good coverage of 20-10m. Coverage on 40m
is a bit narrow, but should be OK if your rig has an automatic antenna
tuner. I haven't tried the 80m kit, but it is exceedingly narrow, and
narrows the 40m performance, too.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901