[TenTec] Omni VI+

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI+
From: W4NL-KA4S@worldnet.att.net (L. L. Lamb)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 12:58:10 -0500
Good morning.....

I'll be brief (!) and offer to discuss the details via my e-mail adr if
anyone would like and not take too much space here. If enough interest,
will sum here on the reflector.

Rich, N9THC (you may have this already).... R-54 to 22k and R-55 to 470k.
I have not done this yet, and will wait until I hear from others here on
the reflector which brings me to the last part of the note.....

My OMNI VI+ (a super rig) does not have enough VOX gain, but plenty of tx
mike gain with my Heil HC-4 Pro-set.  This is in the grass, but it bothers
me and I was wondering how others felt.  I did contact Ten Tec and was told
to change the resistors in the audio input (see above) and I will do this
depending on what feedback I get here.

As said, I use the Heil Pro-set with the HC-4 and have tired the HC-5 with
other rigs. The HC-4 seems better with my voice.  The mike gain is good at
the 9 O'Clock position.  The VOX gain is set at the "15" position and on
the ragged edge of not being enough.  I've played around with the avox and
delay levels, and while they have some effect, it's hardly where I wish it
to be.

The question being, if I change the resistors would I not create more gain
for my mike into the audio input of the tx and have to run the mike gain
lower while not increasing the VOX gain?  I say this since Ten Tec tells me
the VOX gain is picked up after and is part of this audio amp circuit.  The
Heil is used by others with completely different results vis a vis have to
run the mike gain at much higher levels, etc.  All I need is more VOX gain!!

Any comments?

73, Lynn W4NL
W4NL-KA4S@worldnet.att.net