[TenTec] RE: Birdies on OMNI-VI Plus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: Birdies on OMNI-VI Plus
From: dbowker@shire.sjv.net (Dave Bowker)
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 13:36:53 -0500
There were birdies in my VI when I bought it new (Apr. 93) and before I
sent it in for the Option-3 upgrade.  I only found two that could be heard
with the antenna connected (one was just below 14.000), but LOTS with no
antenna.  They're still there after the PLUS upgrade, and to best of my
knowledge, no new ones were added!  They DO NOT cause a problem during
normal HF operation.

BTW:  I have performed extensive tests betwen the OMNI-VI and sysnthesized
rigs (Yaesu and Kenwood), and believe me, the OMNI-VI is superior for very
weak signal reception (due to its crystal mixing scheme and associated very
low phase noise).  I went so far as to set one of the "other products"
right next to the OMNI-VI on the lab bench and performed extensive tests on
both of them...there was no doubt about which one to invest my retirement
savings in!

73, Dave
K1FK