[TenTec] Re: Last Chapter

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Last Chapter
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 23:46:27 -0500

> Which brings up one of those points that we always try to make about
> equipment that appears to be a little troublesome on first appearance.
>
> We have had countless incidents of circuit board cables coming
> unplugged
> during shipping for a wide variety of equipment.  We do use a portable
>
> vibration shake table before shipping rigs out, to see if we can get
> cables
> to come loose before one of the commercial shipping carriers does it
> for
> us.  We have seen instances numerous times (and I'm sure some of you
> reading have been on the receiving end of this) where the Omni-VI has
> been banged so hard during shipping that the crystal filters have
> popped
> out of the sockets and are rolling around inside the transceiver case.

Is it any wonder that stuff comes loose? The xtal filters have nothing
holding them in but friction on the contact pins and most of the
connectors rely on friction only. They have no locking clips. I've had
to dab some solder on the legs of my xtal filters to snug the up. Other
manufactures use bolts to hold the filters and snap lock plug/jack
assemblies. My IC-706 could withstand a horseback ride! Seems like after
25 years of making rigs this way that someone would catch on. But
regardless, I still love my Omni V....Best cw rig yet!

N4LQ