[TenTec] Re: Headphones [was MFJ Cleartone....]

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Headphones [was MFJ Cleartone....]
From: JimN0OCT@aol.com (JimN0OCT@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:02:41 EST

<<
 Ok, lets don't stop here. I have to use headphones to let the xyl
 sleep while operation. What are the best headphones for cw?
 I use the good stereo ones too, but there are not great for cw.

 Bill W5EC >>

OK, I've lurked long enough.  My all-time favorite headphones to use on CW are
a pair of old [read WWII vintage] military surplus hi impedance [~2000 ohms]
communications headphones.  They are peaked for reception at about 600 Hz,
which matches all of my rigs [Ten Tec, Drake, R390/A] quite nicely.  One has
to turn the volume up a little more than you would with 8-ohm phones, but
these really cut the garbage out and make CW even on a noisy circuit a joy to
listen to.

I have also read where folks have taken old hi-Z phones and connected a cap in
parallel across the coil of each "phone" [value of cap determined by trial and
error] so that the phones basically form an audio filter peaked at the CW tone
of interest.

Just my 2 centavos.

72, 73, whatever it takes

jim n0oct