[TenTec] Miraculous cure of Omni VI

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Miraculous cure of Omni VI
From: ditzian@greenepa.net (Jan Ladd Ditzian)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 09:20:40 -0500
To any Tec-Tec'ers willing to give advice (that means total number of
owners minus 1):

I have an Omni VI Plu (that means that I have the cheapo Option 1,
stick-the-ROM-in-by-yourself upgrade, instead of the full 6-Plus
upgrade).  Yesterday, it suddenly refused to operate in Tune or CW
modes.  The CW keyer beeped OK, but the Fwd needle just jumped a little,
and the rf scope showed a slight thickening of the line.  It did not
work with a key in the CW jack either.  It was fine in both SSB modes
and FM mode, and the relay for the linear amp worked.  I tried partial
and full resets, to no avail.  Realizing that the poor thing was sick, I
put it to bed early.  This morning I turned it back on, prior to looking
up Ten-Tec's technical assistance number.  Lo and behold, it was cured.

Surely Ares, now the god of ham radio since love of war is abjured (if
you do not believe me, go to your local radio club and ask any ham
wearing a handy-talky whether Ares is the god of ham radio) had cured my
Omni.  I am not one to mess with success; cured is cured.  But I am
curious about what part of the Omni's anatomy might have been ailing.  I
won't call Ten-Tec, because, if I am too cheap to go for the Option 3
upgrade, how can I blow a nickel on the toll call when the radio works?
But, since I have an inquiring mind, I want to know.

Does anyone have the answer?

Thank you,
Jan, KX2A