[TenTec] Titan RF Amplifier Trouble

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Titan RF Amplifier Trouble
From: jduffer@mnsinc.com (James D. Duffer)
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 17:47:22 -0400
My relatively new Titan (425), Golden Series, SN#9, is misbehaving.  The
problem first manifested itself by burning out the two line fuses (20 A)
F1 and F2.  This occured while in standby and approximately 5 minutes
after be turned on.  After replacing the line fuses, and removing the HV
cable between the power supply and the amplifier, it ran for hours (in
stand-by), then it quit again, this time the Fuse (1.5 A) F3 burn out.
I haven't turned it back on since this latest incident.  This seems to
indicate the problem is in the power supply.

I noticed evidence of arcing at terminals E and F of the Power Supply
Rectifier Board 81627.  This left a black smudgy spot adjacent to these
two terminals and the edge of the card.  There was also black smudges on
the red wires going into the terminals E and F on the card.  No evidence
of real burning or heat at these points.  I have since then cleaned up
this area.

Now for my questions for those who are familiar with the Titan.  The
High-Low Voltage switch on the front panel of the POWER SUPPLY places or
removes a ground to the terminal labeled HV SW on the AC Board (81626).
This signal is then routed to terminal 8 of Jack J1, and then apparently
not used or at least not shown where it goes within the Titan Amp
itself.  Anybody knows where it goes if used?? I understand this is used
on the "export" model. The small green wire was not connected to this
switch so mine wasn't applying that ground anywhere anyway!

Second question, on the AC Board (81626), how does the relay K2 play in
this Amp?  It seems to be part of the above question, but my schematic
only shows the armature of the relay, not the contacts.....what does
this relay do and how does it do it?

Final question, has any Titan experienced problem similar to this? It is
relatively new, and has been setting unused for two months while I was
on travel with my part-time job.  In fact it may be still under the
first year warranty, however, I do not want to send the big power supply
back to Ten Tec just yet.  Seems like there was a posting encourageing
Ten Tec users to become familiar with their equipment.

Thanks for bearing with me on this and 73,

Jim     WD4AIR