[TenTec] QRP

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] QRP
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 17:50:00 -0500
>I must confess that it seems you QRP'ers are getting out better
than I am. I
>have worked about 15 states in the past few days--but it is not
easy to work
>'em with a fixed freq.

Back in the early-mid 60's, while in the Navy, I was stationed in
Iceland for a year.  Within a month of arriving, I had (1)
discovered that Iceland would issue me a TF callsign on
completion of an exam, (2) taken and passed the exam, (3)
received the callsign (TF2WIY), (4) received my old Globe Chief
90 transmitter, SX-110 receiver, antenna tuner, and two
crystals -- two lousy crystals--,and (5) had an end fed wire from
my barracks room to the roof of the barracks across from ours. .

I had an absolute ball!  With only two crystals, after a month or
two of operating, people knew where to find me on 20m CW.   It
was great fun.  During that whole time, I never had a desire to
upgrade the transmitter with a VFO.

Have fun with your WAS QRP-X (crystal controlled) quest, Bruce!

73,
dale, kg5u