[TenTec] Corsair II AGC

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair II AGC
From: chestert@pressroom.com (Chester Alderman)
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 14:12:36 -0400
This won't help much right now, but I'll keep digging. Some years ago
(10?), there was a capacitor change near the audio output amplifier, maybe
it was near the QSK transistor that shut off the audio amp ,but I can't
recall off the top of my head. The popping noise (we used to call it an AGC
pop also) was actually caused by the value of a cap being too large, it was
10 mfd and changing it to something like 1 mfd did the trick. I'll post the
info as soon as I can located it in my 'files'!

At 10:09 AM 7/6/98 -0400, you wrote:

>I am also searching for a magic bullet. The pop really is the only bad
>thing I
>can think of about my CSII.
>
>I replaced the agc and hang electrolytic charge caps with tantalum and it
>improves it
>some. The tantalum caps charge a little faster.
>
>W3TS made a little amp using an MC1350 and samples the IF just before the
>product
>detector, feeds it into the amp and rectifies it, and uses this voltage to
>drive
>the AGC instead of the audio derived voltage.  That's what I'm going to try
>next.
>
>Tom  W1EAT
>
>At 01:07 AM 7/5/98 EDT, you wrote:
>>
>>Anyone come up with a fix for the loud pop on the attack of the AGC in this
>>rig. I really like this radio but this pop is driving me to maybe get rid of
>>the radio. Seems like it is worse on this radio than the Corsair One.
>>Thanks for any help,
>>Terry Gaiser - W6RU
>>
>>--
>>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm