[TenTec] ARRL Proposal

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] ARRL Proposal
From: casey.bahr@intel.com (Bahr, Casey)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 08:39:28 -0700

Duffy,

I have no intention of flaming you (despite your pleas to the contrary) ;)

You have to realize first that amateur radio has already been dumbed
down and it will only get worse. The current written exams are a joke
and even if they required you to pass a PhD level exam on astrophysics
to get a Tech license I can assure you that as long as they continue
to use a multiple-guess format and  publish the Q&As to these exams
an elementary school child can pass them very easily with a simple
technique. Even without this  technique (which I won't reveal as I don't
want to contribute to the folly of these tests any more), one could spend
about a week memorizing the answers and not retain a bit of the theory
or regulations.

I always get a kick out of folks like you who obviously have spent so
little time on the CW bands. You always cite the coarse behavior on
75 meters or such. If this exists on the CW bands I have yet to hear
it in thousands of QSOs, except from phone ops who try to jam CW ops.
And just because *you* don't use CW or see its value does that give
you the right to take away our bandspace and denigrate its use?

If you can suggest a better gatekeeper as you call it then I might
listen, but this current proposal has none, it lowers the bar, and even
you in the phone bands will pay the price. Why don't you try operating
on 11 meters for a month and see how you like it.

73,

Casey