[TenTec] rambling questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] rambling questions
From: kk5ib@insolwwb.net (Darryl J. Kelly)
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 08:53:48 -0700
I have been using MFJ 784 Digital Signal
DSP Filters for about 3 years. I got one to
use with my Yaesu FT-840 with 500 Hz CW
filter. Work is mostly CW, and the 500 Hz
was not not narrow enough in my opinion.
I still have the 784 and use it regularly, but
now with a Yaesu FT-990. Both radios need
some help, the 840 with the selectivity and
the 990 with audio. Also have both the 500
Hz and 250 Hz in line for CW, and 2.4 KHz
and 2.0 KHz filters in for SSB. I use the 784
with both SSB and CW, but the results with
SSB are not as good as compared to CW.
If you have a really good radio with great
selectivity and quiet audio, you probably will
be disappointed with DSP. If on the other
hand, your radio needs some help, and you
are willing to admit it, DSP should be of some
value. Don't expect it to solve all problems,
and it does trade one noise for another. I
simply find the pluses for use of DSP greater
than the minuses. Hope this is of some help.
73,
Darryl, KK5IB

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
> Date: Wednesday, July 29, 1998 2:18 PM
>

> Clark, Interesting comments about the processors.  I haven't personally
used
> them but have heard similar on the air comments from others ...
particualrly