[TenTec] Re: [CW] Kachina vs. Omni VI+

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: [CW] Kachina vs. Omni VI+
From: chestert@pressroom.com (Chester Alderman)
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 1998 20:47:54 -0400
--=====================_42565765==_.ALT

Jim...Unfortunately I can only offer you what I was told via email about the
Kachina. Someone was using it at a special event station and complained that
the QSK was very poor; mind you, I don't know personally.

        As for the Omni 6+ that resets to 14000kc when it's turned on, I'm
sure
your going to find when that fellow reads the manual and learns how to set the
menu selection, that the Omni 6 will turn on at the QRG that it was turned off
at. Mine does.

        I sure disagree with the person stating that "ultimately IF/DSP filter
performance will surpass cascaded crystal filters."  The reason I disagree
with
that statement is because digital switching will probably NEVER have the stop
band characteristics that a crystal filter can have, if designed correct. They
will probably make good strides in using IF/DSP for SSB, but I would almost
(NOTE: 'almost') bet my Omni 6+ that it wont happen for CW operation.

        As for TenTec's final testing, I have not witnessed it. However not
too
long ago TenTec got a military contract to build receivers to MilSpec and I
think the result of that contract is a lot of what we see in the Omni 6.
Meaning the very good pc board layouts, the excellent cabeling routing, and
the
overall significant improvement in the design of the Omni. I think most of
their testing is now computer controlled, and certainly with computer
controlled testing some things can be missed. All depends on the
communications
between the engineers and the computer programmer!

73,

>>I think the CW QSK/keying performance was better with the Omni also .
>
>Yes.  at the Kachina web site,  they say they 505 has QSK "only
>above 30 wpm",  at QRS the "transmitter hangs",  whatever that
>means.  They go to say it is because the Kachina completes
>each CW character for you!!  That is different.
>
>>I'm sure that ultimately all rigs will be computer-controlled to the degree
>that
>>the Kachina is, and I'm sure that ultimately IF/DSP filter performance will
>>surpass cascaded crystal filters.  Give them 5 years or so!
>

>But,  I think I will need to order a new rig next week!  However,  a bit
>put off by the fellow who just got his new Omni+ from Ten Tec,  I
>guess yesterday,  and it would reset to 14000 and 1200 o'clock each
>time he turned in off  and later back on!  Ten Tec says they burn
>each rig in for several hours,  then check performance again,  but
>maybe they didn't/don't turn them on/off a couple of times as part
>of the check??
>
>73,   Jim,  KH7M
>
>73,  Jim,  KH7M
>

>--

Chester Alderman
Tom - W4BQF
chestert@pressroom.com

--=====================_42565765==_.ALT

email about the Kachina. Someone was using it at a special event station
and complained that the QSK was very poor; mind you, I don't know
personally.</div>
for the Omni 6+ that resets to 14000kc when it's turned on, I'm sure your
going to find when that fellow reads the manual and learns how to set the
menu selection, that the Omni 6 will turn on at the QRG that it was
turned off at. Mine does.</div>
sure disagree with the person stating that &quot;ultimately IF/DSP filter
performance will surpass cascaded crystal filters.&quot;&nbsp; The reason
I disagree with that statement is because digital switching will probably
NEVER have the stop band characteristics that a crystal filter can have,
if designed correct. They will probably make good strides in using IF/DSP
for SSB, but I would almost (NOTE: 'almost') bet my Omni 6+ that it wont
happen for CW operation.</div>
for TenTec's final testing, I have not witnessed it. However not too long
ago TenTec got a military contract to build receivers to MilSpec and I
think the result of that contract is a lot of what we see in the Omni 6.
Meaning the very good pc board layouts, the excellent cabeling routing,
and the overall significant improvement in the design of the Omni. I
think most of their testing is now computer controlled, and certainly
with computer controlled testing some things can be missed. All depends
on the communications between the engineers and the computer
programmer!</div>
Omni also .</div>
QSK &quot;only</div>
hangs&quot;,&nbsp; whatever that</div>
completes</div>
computer-controlled to the degree</div>
performance will</div>
so!</div>
week!&nbsp; However,&nbsp; a bit</div>
Tec,&nbsp; I</div>
o'clock each</div>
says they burn</div>
again,&nbsp; but</div>
part</div>
WWW:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
EUDORA=AUTOURL>http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm</a></div>
tentec@contesting.com</div>
tentec-REQUEST@contesting.com</div>
owner-tentec@contesting.com</div>