[TenTec] A Better Ten Tec

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] A Better Ten Tec
From: carl.s.hyde@lmco.com (Carl Hyde)
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 08:35:37 -0400
Well I'm a new time Ham and have TT gear and just recently started using some
Collins S Line equipment.  I have operated many sophisticated rigs from the
land of the rising Yen and even used the new computer controlled rig.  I find
I can work faster, easier and more effectively with my Delta II and OMNI C
than I can with the new rigs.  I can hear a strong signal I dont need a
digital display of the spectrum to tell me the bands are busy.  And I sit in
front of a computer 8 hours a day at work, I don't need one at home that
pretends to be a radio.  But if you really want to hear a clean receiver that
hears as good as a TT then go to someones shack who has Collins or Drake or
Hallicrafters tube gear and just sit and operate.  I don't care who makes it,
transistors and DSP still sound like crap.   Just my two cents.....

W9SN wrote:

> > As on oldtime ham who can remember the era of tube-based equipment, I
> > appreciate
> > that the Omni VI+ *doesn't* have so many of the bells and whistles.
> > Besides, I
> > like having most, if not all, of the controls right on the front panel.
> > The
> > menus in the IC-706 really bother me, thus that rig gets used mostly on
> > 6m and
> > 2m SSB.  While I can appreciate the capabilities of fine,
> > top-of-the-line rigs
> > like the FT-1000D and MP, their front panels are just riddled with
> > controls, many
> > of which most hams don't ever use.
> >
> > 73 de Jim - AD6CW
>
> Jim, I think that most of us hams that have been around a few years can
> remember
> back to that one certain rig that brought us so much joy.  We kick
> ourselves in
> the pants for getting rid of it.  (Done that a few times).  All of those
> rigs
> were ones that were great and did not have all the bells and whistles.
> My triton 544 was one of the finest rigs I ever used on cw.  My corsair
> was also
> a great rig.  I also let a few Argosy's go too.  All of them didn't have
> 300 functions on them.  I have a few 2 meter rice boxes that have so
> many features
> that I have to dig my manual out ever time I need to program them.  One
> has
> so many features that I can't even remember all of them or would ever
> need to use
> them either. Where is a good yeasu memorizer when you need it?
>  Maybe I'm a dinosaur but give me a great cw rig that easy to use
> and has super qsk with great rx that has great filtering.
> Looking at the pix in QST for the newer jap rigs, I think I would have
> to go
> through a cram course in school to use them.  The buttons are so
> numerous and
> small that they have to abbreviate most of them.  I can't imagine ever
> wanting
> to use that many functions.  Just makes me feel like there is alot more
> things
> in them that could go wrong in the future.
> Combine the Corsair with the Omni 5 and I would buy 3 of them.
> Also make it easy to work on like all Ten Tec's.....no surface mount
> junk
>
>                       ------------------------------------------
>                                 Steve Narducci
>                         Amateur Radio Station -  W9SN
>                           All Ten Tec Equiptment
>                           Toys for "Real" CW Men
>
> --

Carl Hyde
carl.s.hyde@lmco.com
Desk:  (609) 866-6386
Fax:   (609) 866-6414

POLITICS:  From the Latin prefix "Poli" meaning "Many" and the word "Tics"
           meaning "blood sucking parasites"