[TenTec] Omni VI clicks/thumps

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI clicks/thumps
From: zl1mh@xtra.co.nz (mike hutchins)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 19:03:27 +1300
My Omni VI is s/n 05A10575, with PLUS, option 1, upgrade.
Sidetone has always been disappointing, but all the other Omni VI
advantages outweigh this!

My sidetone problem has been 'thumpiness' rather than 'clicks'.

Removing lead #52 reduced the thumping CONSIDERABLY.

SLOW QSK reduces the thump to almost zero, as does reducing power out to
less than 50W into either a real or dummy ant.

Putting the audio thru an external dsp filter removes the thump - this
of course is hiding the problem & not curing it!  Various combinations
of I.F filters make no difference.

Like someone before me said, the TS930/940 have GREAT sidetone, it must
be generated in a different way to that of the Omni VI - but I'd need to
project those cramped JA circuits in cinemascope to be able to follow
them!

My old Argonaut 505 has "thumpy" sidetone too!

I've spent much time re-routing wiring inside the Omni VI with no
improvement.

The Omni VI is STILL my all-time favorite rig and yes, I would buy
another one, if only I had a job & income!!

73 to all.  Mike, ZL1MH.