[TenTec] [Fwd: A not so gentle reminder - HV is unforgiving]

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] [Fwd: A not so gentle reminder - HV is unforgiving]
From: DENNYV@clarityconnect.com (Dennis Voorhees)
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 11:00:24 -0800

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
> Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 00:37:12 -0500
> From: David Humbertson <daveh@hereintown.net>
> To: "baswaplist@foothill.net" <baswaplist@foothill.net>,
>      "Drake@qth.net" <drake@qth.net>,
>      "Drakelist@baltimoremd.com" <drakelist@baltimoremd.com>,
>      "Heath@listserve.tempe.gov" <heath@listserve.tempe.gov>
>
> Hi All,
> I usually don't post to multiple lists but thought my recent
> reminder of the dangers of getting to comfortable around
> HV should be shared in the hopes it will prevent someone
> else from going through what I just did this eve - OR WORSE.
> this can
> happen - yes I know all about it too, but as I look at my bandaged
> hand, I realize we all need a reminder from time to time.
>  I realize this may be a bit off topic, so thanks for your time.
> ...BTW - It sure is hard to type now.
> --
> 73, Dave - W3NP
> Ft. Ashby, WV

Well I want to get my story in before the rest of you Old timers.
     About 7 years ago I picked up an old Galaxy Tranceiver non working at
hamfest for $50 power supply and all. You older guys will remember them well
(I remember when you could buy them new).
They are  a 60's era tube tranceiver of about 250 watts in put with sweep tube
finals about 700 volts on the plates and votages of  100+vdc all around the
chassis.
     I too am Technical type. A schooled ET from the '60s, I entered
electronics in the Tube Era. I still do work with the older technology HV
stuff from time to time at my Day job.
    Well about the 3rd time I caught myself poking my finger at components
under the chassis with the power on, I pulled the plug, Called an even older
oldtimer and sold it to him for $50, he's still living and we both have all
our fingers and toes last I checked.
     I sympathise with Dave and I wish you a speedy recovery where ever  you
are.
     Remember; " Life can be Short with Hollow state"