[TenTec] Looking for an old surplus equipment box...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Looking for an old surplus equipment box...
From: tscott@eni.net (Tom Scott)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 20:54:51 -0800
This is something of an odd request, but I'm looking for a project box to
build a VSWR / Watt meter project into. I'm wondering if any of you folks
have some old surplus box that could be gutted and would fit this purpose.

I know that Ten-Tec sells some nice project boxes and will probably end up
buying one of theirs, but they aren't cheap, aren't exactly the style I was
looking for, and some of the old equipment comes in very solid well built
boxes. I will pay a reasonable price for the box, a bit more if it has some
valuable parts inside that might also be useful to me. I've been looking at
some of the electronic swapmeets and have seen a lot of nice boxes, but
nothing the right size yet. I even bought an old HP 415E just because it had
a nice clean chassis and it had enough parts in it to justify the $10 it
cost, but its just not wide enough for the two meters I want to use on this
project. (As an aside, does anyone know anything about this 415E? I
understand that it's a pretty nice instrument if you have the probe head for
it, but that wasn't included  so I just bought it for parts).

I would love to be able to make something that would complement the
appearance of my Omni V, but I've already got a Johnson Matchbox sitting
next to it which is pretty different. All I'm really looking for is a
presentable well-built chassis, maybe something that I can cut a new face
plate for. Something that would look better than your typical Budd Box,
preferably steel, but a well built aluminum box would also be fine. I'm not
going to use a plastic box for this though.

I was given two very nice, large-dial Simpson 50 uA meters, brand-new still
in the original box, so the dimensions I need are a bit larger than usual
for this piece of equipment. The two meter faces themselves will need a
space at least 9.5" wide by 4" tall, and then I will need either an extra
two inches of width or two inches of height on the front panel for the range
switch knob. The depth could be anything from 4" to 10". If I find a
particularly nice surplus box that is on the large size, I will probably end
up using the extra space to build the balanced roller inductor tuner that
I've been  planning to build next, into the extra space.

- Tom
       Tom Scott     -    Wyle Electronics    -    KD7DMH
       10300 SW Nimbus Ave #PB, Portland, OR 97223
       503-603-1931 - TEL   503-684-6620 - FAX
       503-504-1583 - Cell    503-604-8651 - Pager