[TenTec] another question on the talking part of this Omni V

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] another question on the talking part of this Omni V
From: whowell@hq.nasa.gov (Scott Howell)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 08:56:06 -0500
ok, first tnx to everyone for all the wonderful help on my vfo split ops
etc. and the knowledge there of. Now I have it.
I do have another question. I tried checking into the Tentec net lastnight
and well yes I have an indoor dipole, its a mini g5rv, facing with the
broadside east west, yes running lots of pwr isn't a good thing, but ok so
I said that to do a little cya (is the FCC reading<g>), and I was trying
everything from 5 to 75 watts.
Here's the deal. I have tried my experiment on 10m, 40, and finally 20. I
set the mic gain about half way, tried lowering it and punching in/out the
speech processor. I also listen with the monitor, but wasn't sure because
it sounded fine to me, but then I usually sound good to me<g>.  Now I
operate 99.99999% cw so haven't gotten familiar with the talking parts.
I know there is this alc light on there somehwere, couldnt' tell my Xyl
where so she couldn't help much. I realize my antenna isn't very good for
some contacts, but it works so well on cw that I figure phone it should do
reasonably well.
So could someone give me a few tips I can try to see if the mic controls
aren't working or I am setting it wrong or maybe this rig just likes only cw.
Hmmmm well I do too <g>.

tnx agn for all advice and assistance.
You guys are great!
I did enjoy the net and tried bellowing my head off, but no one could hear
me, but my Xyl who said the key is much nicer cause she hasn't got to
listen to my big flap flappin'.<g>
She said I bellow like my German Shepherd howls.