[TenTec] Still Plagued by RF - Omni/Centurion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Still Plagued by RF - Omni/Centurion
From: ai2q@ispchannel.com (Alex Mendelsohn)
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 09:50:32 -0400
Hi Barry:

On 15 meters here I notice RF sometimes (not all the time!) gets into my 961
which I use for my Omni-V. I use open-wire feeders for my extended doublet
and also for my Lazy-H wire beam.

One thing I added that's missing from the power supply design is RF bypass
capacitors at the AC line. Why doesn't TT follow "standard practice" and
have bypassing built-in? The schematic is conspicuously bare!

I added a pair of 0.001 uF @ 1500 volts from each side of the line to
ground. I haven't done it yet (ran outta HV caps) but there should be one
across the line as well. You can easily do this where the 4-conductor ribbon
enters the supply by putting a ground lug under a nearby screw.

I also added a 0.001 uF cap from the red DC output line to ground, putting a
lug under the phono plug strip for the ground connection.

I also noticed that the fuse holder (yes, the fuse holder)on the circuit
board in the emitter-output section of the pass transistor-follower board
seemed flakey. There may have been a tad of surface corrosion on the snap
contacts. I cleaned those and added some Stabilant-22 conductive polymer
solution to it and replaced the 20-A fuse. That seemed to help keep the
supply from occasionally shutting down.

Perhaps there was some low level rectification going on at the "diode"
formed by the corrosion. Don't know. But I'm keeping my eye on that.

BTW: I worked for many years as a bench technician at a Heathkit store
during its heyday, and I've seen a lot of weird things happen. Luckily, most
can be fixed. Be patient--and keep smiling while you struggle. I know these
comments may not be perfectly applicable for you, but I thought I'd pass 'em
along anyway.

Vy 73, AI2Q, Alex in Kennebunk, Maine  .-.-.