[TenTec] Omni V SSB Monitor Circuit

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V SSB Monitor Circuit
From: n1eu@yahoo.com (N1EU)
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 03:08:12 -0700 (PDT)
I went through this exercise about 2 months ago when I
first got my Omni 6+ and really missed the lack of
monitor.  Someone e-mailed me the schematic (big jpeg
file) for the mod applied to the Omni 6 schematic.  I
installed it, and it kinda worked, but not very good.
The monitor level was too low, even at maximum gain on
the pot.  The monitor was on all the time, so that
whatever the mike picked up (even in receive mode)
came through the headphones along with the receive
signal.  I had the sense that this was degrading the
receive audio.  All in all, I was disappointed and
removed it.  I've since gotten used to no monitor, and
use another rig when I really want to check the xmit
audio quality.

If someone wanted to take the time, they could
probably improve the circuit.  Along with upping the
monitor level, it could probably use a relay/analog
switch at the point where the monitor signal is
injected into the audio output stage, triggered by the
PTT line to cut it in only during xmit.  It was an
easy circuit to build on perf board, but a little
tricky (no big deal for the experienced) to do the
installation wiring (use RG-174).

I'd be happy to email the schematic to anyone
interested after FD is over.  Just drop me an email.
Or better yet - can someone suggest an FTP site I can
upload it to?

73,
Barry  N1EU