[TenTec] eme: Omni D vs vi+ DSP, wondering...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] eme: Omni D vs vi+ DSP, wondering...
From: jdvoracek@vvm.com (John Dvoracek)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 12:10:54 -0500
This may not be the best forum, but I don't know of any others.  I used a
pre-DSP Omni D, series B, with a transverter for serious weak signal vhf
work in the 1980's.  I had a small eme station with 4 Cushcraft long-boom
yagi's, a K2RIW style KW (about a KW out at best), a Microwave Modules
transverter, and a homebrew GaS fet pre-amp.  At the time, I used the Omni
for some light-weight contesting too, but I got it because I felt it had the
quietest receiver.

Well, here is what I really wonder.  After being QRT 13 years, I have just
re-actived (last 24 hours) with a used Omni vi+ and a pair of INRAD 400's
for CW, *and the audio DSP is like a dimension from another planet*.  I
can't help but wondering what the DSP would do to pull out weak signals
during eme work?  How weak???  Well, some really honest operators I knew had
"phantom" QSO's after listening to too much noise.

Anyway, just food for holiday thought, so happy Fourth on the fifth (my
official holiday), and 73 - John, ke5c (WAS 144 mhz #56).