[TenTec] Pegasus - the litmus test

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus - the litmus test
From: tscott@eni.net (Tom Scott)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:39:03 -0700
Well it seems pretty clear that Ten-Tec has succeeded in creating the
definitive litmus test for Ham radio traditionalists versus what we might
call modernists, with precious few of us falling in between.

As apparently one of the few in between, I certainly see the point of view
of the traditionalists. I am personally very fond of radios that "glow in
the dark". But as a computer engineer and one who finds things digital and
GUI quite routine and intuitive, and a pleasure to operate, I also find
quite a bit to like about the Pegasus and the Kachina. My only reservation
about the Kachina had always been the high price. A quick analysis of the
cost of electronics these days quickly leads to the conclusion that more
than half the cost of most products is in the pots, switches, dials, and
displays. All the electro-mechanical stuff that it takes to operate a radio
has become more expensive than most of the guts that make it perform. I
confess that after becoming first interested in amateur radio, quite
recently, and getting a bit of sticker shock at the cost of the high-end
rigs, it occurred to me that someone ought to be able to build a radio for
about half the cost by using  a computer to control it. In the case of
someone using digital modes, the computer is hooked up, booted, and
operating anyway. When I discovered the Kachina I was surprised at how
expensive it was. The cost of the Pegasus confirmed my suspicions that it
didn't need to be. I believe we will see the cost of the Kachina come down
fairly soon. I'm sure they are trying to figure a graceful way to do that
now. Perhaps an attempt to give the appearance of out-doing Ten-Tec in some
technical fashion to justify keeping a portion of their higher price, but I
think it must come down. Ignoring the user interface (which I understand
some will not want to do) it sems inescapable that the performance and
features of the Pegasus at $895 is a real bargain. There is a large market
among the "computer-buff turned Ham" for such a radio. Ten-Tec will do well
with it I'm sure. Those users will give Ten-Tec a great deal of accolades
for making a major breakthrough in price / performance for HF rigs.

Could we perhaps agree that for the traditional amateur who is not
particularly "in love with" computers, certainly not the way they are with
radios, and whose interest in radio leans toward the traditional modes, the
Pegasus or Kachina have little to offer, and the "knob and switch boxes"
(especially the ones which glow in the dark) will always have a charm all
their own? But for those who perhaps developed an affinity for computers
before acquiring an interest in radio, and especially those interested in
experimentation with digital modes, the software-enabled bells and whistles
of a computer-controlled radio, along with the significant cost savings they
can afford, has a certain appeal all its own; a very different appeal, but
valid nonetheless?

Rarely a fence-sitter myself, in this case, I can really see both sides very
clearly and find myself passionately interested in both styles of radios.
Heck, what more could any Ham ask for, than another reason to by more
radios? (grin)

- Tom
   Tom Scott     -    Wyle Electronics    -    KD7DMH
   10300 SW Nimbus Ave #PB, Portland, OR 97223
   503-603-1931 - TEL    503-684-6620 - FAX
   503-703-2032 - Cell    503-604-8651 - Pager