[TenTec] Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:28:15 -1000
Lee wrote,  in part:

> >Well, I gave my thoughts already.  On a scale of 0 to
>>100 with 100 being of high interest,  I have an interest
>>level on this [Pegasus] radio equal to 0. I.......

At Dayton,  1994,  I bought a new radio:  called the Soft
Wave.  Very similar to the new Pegasus,  except it
was supposed to be able to print out CW,  read the
quality of the senders fist,  error rate,  etc.  Had a
"World Radio" included, with a huge data base of
commercial BC stations,  medium and short wave
of the entire world,  etc.,  etc..  Was a rcvr only at the
time,  with xmitter to come,  as I was led to believe.

Found it very frustrating to use for the reasons Lee
described.  Moust operation of slider controls on
the monitor screen.  You could turn the AGC on or
off;  could view a spectrum about the frequency to
which you were tuned,  all sorts of "neat" things,  and
probably was as sensitive as the 950SDX I had at the
time.

But tired of it very soon;  fell into real non-use.  Tried
later to contact the builders for software/other upgrades
and found they (Comsoft) had gone out of business!!  So,
a  few months ago,  I through it out in the trash!!  No market
for such a thing here on Kauai,  hi.  And the external box
had languished so long in our humid climate,  it no
longer was useable anyway.

Anyway,  Ten Tec will be in business for a long time,
and am sure they will do upgrading to their new
machine.  And Kachina has now been around for
three years.

But it will be awhile before I go for another "virtual" radio.
In fact,  I have the TRXmngr to coumputer control my
FT-1000D;  same idea as the Pegasus software nearly
exactly,  near as I can see.  But,  again for the same
reasons Lee listed,  I nearly never activate it!  DX4win
can also control my FT  to go off to spotted DX.  However,
very seldom can the DX posted be worked at that time
out here in KH6 land,  so usually that is not too useful
either.

Old fashioned way works for me.  Have been at it
since 1950,  not anywhere near Honor Roll yet,
go at it sort of slow.  Not had any cards checked
since 1996,  as I recall,  hi.  But have just about
all the expedition cards since then,  and someday
will have them field checked should I go to
the Visalia DX happening again.  Looked at the
line in Dayton couple of years ago,  decided
that was not the place to have cards checked,  hi.

But I have wandered.  BTW,  did I mention I use
my Omni VI+  for just about 95% of my operating??
The D is now my "back up" rig.

73,  Jim,  KH7M