[TenTec] Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus
From: wb0cff@hotmail.com (Carl R. Gansen)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 15:32:25 PDT
Reading the various comments gave rise to a number of
thoughts and I thought I'd share my perspective.

I own an Omni 6 (Plus via opt 3) and really think it's
a great rig.  The Peagaus at $895 is unlikely to be a
performance equivalent to the Omni 6+.  If it were then
TT has pulled off a major advance.  It sounds as though
the transmitter/final section may be very similar to the
Omni 6.  Few competitive sub-$1000 rigs can make that claim.
The question mark is the receiver performance.  It would
be interesting to hear a performance comparison between the
RX-320 and a sub-$1000 rigs receive section.  How does the
RX-320 stack up against an Ic-707, Ts-50, Ft-840, ...?

I work with computers 8-10 hours per day for my job.  I have
not been inclined to allow the "devil machine" into my shack
simply because I have had enough computer and don't care for
it to consume radio time.  Other people will be biased differently.
At work, I program systems that run instruments and environmental
chambers via IEEE488, RS232, parallel interfaces, and via 4-20 ma.
industrial control loops. I rarely turn a knob on an instrument
any more.  Based on this, I suspect that even though I have a
hard time thinking in terms of a knobless radio right now, the
day can come when it offers enough advantages that make it the
favored thing.

The Pegasus is an opportunity for inquisitive people.

The pictures I've seen of the Pegasus suggest that there is
ample room for mods and tinkering.  If you are not an electronics
tinkerer but enjoy hacking software, the opportunities on
the Pegasus seem endless.

It is likely that the virtual interface will have oddities and
shortcomings, but it is an opportunity for hams with software skills
and/or software skills to collaborate in the evolution of this
type of radio gear.  I suspect that ten years from now the Pegasus
and Kachina are likely to look crude and unsophisticated due to advances
coming from the amateur community.

Carl R. Gansen  WB0CFF
9300 W 225 St
Belle Plaine, Mn. 56011-4206