[TenTec] Looking for AGC comments

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Looking for AGC comments
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:18:52 -0400 (EDT)
Seems like the older TenTec rigs were less affected by static (QRN). The
newer ones with their seperate agc detectors sometimes blip out cw dits
when a burst of static is received while the old rigs with audio derived
agc seem to ignore the QRN. Here's my question;

1. For reception of cw in heavy QRN, would one want a fast or slow attack
time? Newer rigs seem to have faster attack but are hurt more by qrn.

I realize the drawbacks of audio agc. They don't respond to strong signals
fast enough to prevent a rather loud pop on the first cw character but
does that delay help in qrn? My cure has been to turn down the rf gain on
the newer rigs i.e. Omni 5, 6 Paragon etc. Still though, the Old  Omni C's
seem to pull signals out of the qrn better.

I hope this makes sense to someone.

Steve Ellington N4LQ
N4LQ@IGLOU.COM