[TenTec] Pegasus Software/PcPakRatt Version 1.0/NT 4.0 Performance

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus Software/PcPakRatt Version 1.0/NT 4.0 Performance
From: geraldj@ames.net (Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, P.E.)
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 11:12:01 -0500
I've written one program to extract windoze fonts for my own use, both
in C and C++. The C++ program with the same windoze interfaces and
function was 30% larger than the C program. Same compiler. I expect VB
to be far less space efficient.

The trouble with Pegasus and PCPAKRAT is likely that each replaces the
entire port handling, not just for the port assigned. Many pieces of
communications software take over every serial port they can find even
when told to only use one. They just don't share system well.

It took me a couple months to completely recover from changes made to
registry and browser parameters plus drivers I changed while trying to
get things back to what they were before I installed some genealogical
software. Next time I try some windoze software, I'll do the full backup
to be able to go back in 8 hours instead of two months.

73, Jerry, K0CQ