[TenTec] Type and Size of the Tentec Transformer

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Type and Size of the Tentec Transformer
From: pfb@eriecoast.com (Paul)
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 18:49:29 -0400
Next Question Ham operators,

On the Tentec Centurian it is rated at 110V with 30 amp draw and  for 220V
it needs 15amp draw.

QRO has a unit that is running two 500z's with a 110v current draw of 20amps
and a 220v current draw of 20 amps.  I beleve it is the one with 32 lb
transformer from DAHL.

Can anyone explain if it is the size and make of the transformer that is
making such a difference in the required currnt draw.  These amps are  close
to apples to apples and oranges to oranges comparisons in wattage output and
tubes.  QRO has two models -- one with a 21 lb transformer with Pride tubes
and QSK optional for $1895.00 and one with a 32 lb transformer choice of
Amperex tubes or Triton tubes and QSK ready to go for $2095.00.

Is the Tentec Transformer a reason for the different current consumption?
That appears to be a substantial difference in power requirements.
Something I have to keep an eye on.

This is one that I don't have an answer too. Anyone ever check the weight of
a tentec Centurian Transformer??  How do I compare this aspect in looking at
various Amps?  I see nothing in the Tentec literature on the Transformer
other than wiring and current needed.

Paul
KI8HO