[TenTec] Southpaw CW (was Re: Copying CW in your head)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Southpaw CW (was Re: Copying CW in your head)
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 17:25:12 -0500

>> When I was a novice, I learned to send right handed with a
straight
>key
>> (I'm right handed).  When I moved to a keyer, I taught myself
left
>handed
>> instead of right handed so I could hold a pencil in one hand
and send
>CW
>> with the other.  I don't reverse the paddles, I just slide
them over
>to the
>> left side of the OP desk.  So to me, the thumb is for dah's
and the
>finger
>> is for dits.
>
>Ditto here.  My Elmer was a contester in the days of pencils,
erasers,
>and dupe sheets, and he convinced me to learn left-handed so I
could
>keep the pencil in my right hand.  Then he further suggested
leaving the
>paddles as for a right-hander so I could operate most other
stations
>which were set up that way.

I've seen southpaw ops at some of the contest stations I've
operated at simply turn the paddles around 180 degrees.

The op essentially reached over the paddle base and hardware to
the paddles themselves to key.

I know at least one op that operated most of the contest that
way, no matter what desk he was sitting at, and complained not a
whit.

73,
dale, kg5u