[TenTec] WTB: Reed Relay

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] WTB: Reed Relay
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 20:10:33 -0500

>>Look for a very quiet T/R reed relay as used in the Triton and
>other Ten-Tec
>>series transceivers.  There's a variance in the loudness of the
>relay and
>>mine is much too loud.  I once owned an early Triton IV and it
>was extremely
>>quiet.  Anyone have a quiet one to sell?  Anyone know if it's
>the same type
>>as used in the Omni Six?  Thanks!
>>

>Why not call Ten-Tec service department and ask to buy one or
>two....how much can they be?
>
>I've bought reed relays from Jameco and from Radio Shack and
been
>pleased with their quietness on all counts.  I can't recall ever
>running across a 'loud' reed relay.
>
>73,
>dale, kg5u

By the way, back in the late 70's/early 80's when I had a Triton
IV/544, the reed relay crapped out.  A telephone call to Ten-Tec
got one in the mail gratis.  It seemed the reed relay was a model
which they subsequently found would not hold up to the thousands
of cycles CW ops put them through and were crapping out
frequently.  They found another manufacturer who had relays with
higher keying cycles and, I guess, replaced them as we Triton IV
owners called their failures in.

Both relays, as I recall, were quiet and I don't recall my
attention being drawn to them by their clicking.

73 again,
dale, kg5u

http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm
http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm