[TenTec] OMNI VI mixer

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI mixer
From: wdcook@ibm.net (Bill Cook)
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:17:41 -0400

John - G3JAG wrote:

> I just downloaded a couple of the Synergy spec sheets, out of
> curiosity. They give enough info for me to stick my neck out and
> pontificate, although I do not have an Omni-VI. My Omni-V appears to
> use exactly the same mixer  -- unless someone out there knows better.
>
> There should be no problem - the Synergy CMP 212 is probably a safe bet.
> It appears to have all the right characteristics. I cannot believe that
> they made a version of it with a special pin-out, just for TT - these
> packaged mixers all have the same pin-out almost regardless of
> manufacturer. Ham Radio even published a generic PC board layout
> based on this common pin-out.
>
> Unless the TT mixer really is unique, the Mini Circuits RAY-3 is a very
> safe bet. I found one for a few bucks at Dayton (its a $50+ piece here
> in UK) and I'd have no hesitation in dropping it into my Omni-V if I
> thought the mixer had gone out. The SRA1-H may be another option.  The
> key figures to look for are the local oscillator level (17 dBM or
> higher) and the frequency range,  which needs to go low enough, like
> down to 0.025MHz (most go high enough). The regular SBL-1 type of
> device simply does not have the local oscillator signal handling
> capability.

  John  et al,

I have two MCI SRA-3H and decided to try one in my OMNI VI  (upg3).  It
works good.  I cannot tell the difference from the original Synergy mixer.
I am terminating the mixer with a Crystalonics power fet CP 643 (which
provides 50 ohms resistive at 30ma).  Crystalonics is back in business,
they have a web site, and they sell in small quantities (expensive though).

I am not sure if the Omni V has Pass Band Tuning.  However the 1st mixer on
this board is a discreet diode/xfmr DBM.  I removed these parts and mounted
a MCI LRMS-1 (low priced surface mount plastic pkg DBM/LO +7) on the
underside of the pc bd .  The receiver has less noise and maybe better IMD.
It is difficult to quantify without serious lab tests.

73  Bill  N4WC