[TenTec] OMNI VI mixer

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI mixer
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (John - G3JAG)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 18:23:31 +0100 (BST)
I just downloaded a couple of the Synergy spec sheets, out of
curiosity. They give enough info for me to stick my neck out and
pontificate, although I do not have an Omni-VI. My Omni-V appears to
use exactly the same mixer  -- unless someone out there knows better.

There should be no problem - the Synergy CMP 212 is probably a safe bet.
It appears to have all the right characteristics. I cannot believe that
they made a version of it with a special pin-out, just for TT - these
packaged mixers all have the same pin-out almost regardless of
manufacturer. Ham Radio even published a generic PC board layout
based on this common pin-out.

Unless the TT mixer really is unique, the Mini Circuits RAY-3 is a very
safe bet. I found one for a few bucks at Dayton (its a $50+ piece here
in UK) and I'd have no hesitation in dropping it into my Omni-V if I
thought the mixer had gone out. The SRA1-H may be another option.  The
key figures to look for are the local oscillator level (17 dBM or
higher) and the frequency range,  which needs to go low enough, like
down to 0.025MHz (most go high enough). The regular SBL-1 type of
device simply does not have the local oscillator signal handling
capability.

But given that manufacturers often have a minimum order size/cost, why
not get a new from TT ??

If that is not your choice, I guess its worth looking  at
www.surplussales.com; they did have the RAY-3 listed. There may be other
sources.

73  John G3JAG

E-Mail: John - G3JAG <patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk>