[TenTec] noise in receivers

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] noise in receivers
From: turner@rome.ICS.UCI.EDU (Clark Savage Turner)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:28:37 -0700
Is there any simple explanation about why the OMNI V and VI
are known to be "quiet" receivers relative to the crystal
oscillators.  The rigs use a PL VFO, right?  Then they mix
with crystal oscillators.  The "other" rigs (like Paragon)
use PLL's in both VFO and oscillators and mix the signals
like that.  This apparently causes extra noise.

Now, my question.  Does it matter whether the VFO is not
PLL or the oscillator?  In other words, does my TS 830 share
the nice noise characteristics with the OMNI since the
VFO is not PLL, where the oscillators are?  (Opposite
scheme to the OMNI.)  I have a VFO 230 VFO which would then
make the 830 PLL/PLL combination.  Should this demonstrate
"extra noise" in the presence of strong local signals?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Clark
WA3JPG