[TenTec] OMNI-VI Plus features lost from OMNI-V?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI-VI Plus features lost from OMNI-V?
From: wdcook@ibm.net (Bill Cook)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 16:41:13 -0400

00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu wrote:

> From:   BSUVC::00TLZIVNEY   "Terry L. Zivney" 27-SEP-1999 16:49:26.17
> To:     IN%"tentec@contesting.com"
> CC:     00TLZIVNEY
> Subj:   OMNI-VI Plus features lost from OMNI-V?
>
> I plan on buying an OMNI-VI Plus before the contests arrive this fall.
> While reviewing the QST reviews of the OMNI V, VI and VI Plus, together
> with the filter info from International Radio and the discussion on
> the reflector for the past several years, I am confused on a few points.
> These points have been bones of contention on the contest reflector for
> a number of years.
>
> #2.  International Radio and some of the postings on this reflector have
> noted that the stock 2.4 filters are "too narrow"; yet TenTec has a great
> reputation for audio with the ragchewers!  Furthermore, one would think that
> narrow bandwidth would be appreciated by contesters.  I primarily operate CW.
> I am very happy with my Corsair II and its tentec filters.  Should I plan on
> buying a pair of IRC SSB filters, or stick with my tentec cw filters?

The 10 pole InRad filters have a 6-60 of 1.4.  With both filters installed (9mc
IF &
6mc IF) the sharpness (sp?) of the PBT is, how shall I say it, very sweet!!!
Now
add the InRad 2.1 to N2 (9mc IF) and you have a very capable SSB contesting
receiver.  Probably right up there in the top 1/2%.  Just think, 28 poles, and
it
works well; even on the TenTec net on 20m.  Sometimes I think it should be
called
the QRM-CITY net!

For CW I would still put one 10 pole InRad as my primary 9mc filter.
>From there on others can provide better advice.

73 Bill  N4WC