[TenTec] Contests (was OMNI-VI Plus features lost...)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Contests (was OMNI-VI Plus features lost...)
From: k4ldr@hitter.net (Pete K4LDR)
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:28:43 -0400
Greetings Ten-Tecers:

I agree with Al, WB5JNC about reducing power during contests to, say,
about the 100 watt level.   I have never turned my Ten-Tec Titan amp
(#425) on during a contest.  I participate CW low-power in
SweepSnakes, CQ and ARRL DX contests, and the 160 meter contests where
an amp really can be the difference in frustration versus
gratification.   As a realist, there are two chances of getting
contest sponsors (except for QRP) to support  Al's suggestions -
extremely slim and extremely none.  Maybe one day I'll use the
behemoth Titan during a contest and really be impressed with what a
difference high power can do.   I'm not willing to do QRP regularly,
but my experience is that about 100 watts will pretty much serve the
purpose (generalized) for any HF communication as short as a contest
exchange.

73  Pete K4LDR  Citrus County, FL

Al, WB5JNC typed in part: "Contests are the issue they are because the
rules
need to be updated. At present, contesting (with a few minor
exceptions) comes
down to "may the biggest amplifier win". I would propose the following
rules
changes which I believe would eliminate a large portion of the
problem:"