[TenTec] Argosy arrived, now I need accessories

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argosy arrived, now I need accessories
From: w5yr@swbell.net (George T. Baker)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:24:01 -0500
Carl, let me add one personal observation re circuit breakers vs fuses in
a mobile installation.

Once I installed a 100-watt transceiver - an Icom 730 - in a car and ran
the power leads directly to both terminals of the car battery. I then
placed a circuit breaker - industrial grade, etc. - in the cable near the
battery.

This worked fine except that on hot days the temperature under the hood
would rise to the point that the breaker would trip on ambient
temperature, not a current overload. Nothing dangerous - it just shut
down the radio when nothing was wrong.

This experience convinced me that a breaker needs to be rated for a high
ambient if it is to be located under the hood. Lacking that, a fuse might
be the next best thing.

72/73, George        AMA 98452          R/C since 1964
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 54th year and it just keeps getting better!
AutoPOWER Systems, Fairview, TX (30 mi NE Dallas)  Collin County
QRP-L QRP-ARCI FISTS NORCAL ZOMBIE ARS 10-X  33.2 N 96.6 W EM13RE