[TenTec] Tentec Scout/ "Anything Positive"

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Tentec Scout/ "Anything Positive"
From: w8au@sssnet.com (w8au@sssnet.com)
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 19:47:07 -0500
Hi Steve:

You got my story....unadulterated/unabridged!  (and boring, yes, I
know....)  I never asked TT if there was a "FIX" for freq jumping...I just
said, "fix it."  They did.

If I am the only one you work having a good one, you are being culturally
"shortchanged".....you need better company, OM!  <grin>

I tend to agree somewhat with Larry, VA3LK, that we can help the Scout
environment.  When I am mobiling in the dead of winter, I KNOW that the
Scout is going to "hop out" of its AFC lock as the rig goes from 0 deg.F up
to 110 degF in the heater blast.  I periodically switch the rig on and off
and reestablish a "mid point" for the microprocessor to work with until an
ambient temperature is reached.  And, of course, when running QRQ, even at
45 wpm (internal keyer), I do pause for more than a half second
periodically.....it occurs naturally, I don't have to force a pause.

I guess I am adaptive...I understand the little rig and it's limitations
well... I try to "work with it."   To date, it has been the most
user-friendly simple mobile rig I have ever had...include Argo 505/509,
Triton4 and Argosy in that lineup.  (even the Century 21, which doesn't
adapt well to riding the transmission hump!)

What else would I use (considering my tastes..QRQ/QSK Mobile CW)?  A TS-50?
 nope!  A dit-starved IC-706 (internal keyer)? double nope!

I'm not a TT apologist...I CAN be categorized as one of it's critics.  (I
have not owned an OMNI VI...I pick too many nits about it's keying)  Maybe
this will help to keep them in the forefront...be a supporter AND a critic.

Thank heaven I don't have to depend on the Far East for my ham radio
enjoyment.  Long may it remain that way....   (I KNOW we agree on this
one!) <grin>

73,
Perry    w8au

p.s.--has anyone put their new Pegasus on CW?  I need more grist for the
mill....I need something else to nit-pick.....I must be patient, I know I
will eventually hear one!