[TenTec] CAT and the Omni VI+

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] CAT and the Omni VI+
From: nj4f@erols.com (Steve Bookout)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 17:47:57 -0500
Jim, (and others)

If you want to see how this send, echo, receive of the commands works, you
can use a utility included with DX4WIN.

Go to 'help | contents | FAQ's | My rig is not working....'  and at the
bottom are the instructions for getting there in the program.

For instance, when sending 'Read VFO A' command,  the Omni send 6 bytes of
info, 6 bytes are echoed back, I suppose as a confirmation of sorts and
then it will receive 11 bytes if all is working correctly.

This is a useful tool for de-bugging home grown command sets and is also
useful for just seeing what is going on.

73 de Steve, NR4M

At 05:09 PM 11/16/1999 , Jim Reid wrote:

> > What is CdE ?
>
> From the Omni manual:
>
>"Enable/Disable of the Continuous Data Echo mode.
>This controls whether the transceiver automtically reports
>changes from the front panel over the serial port."
>
> > Does the OMNI VI report changes by itself or does the
> >program have to poll it periodically ?
>
> From Section 5.4 of the Omni manual:
>
>"After a transceiver has processed  a command sent from
>a computer,  it will send a response back to the comptuer
>that originated the command.  This insures that the computer
>knows how the transceiver handled the command....also
>provides pacing of commands.   If a computer sends a
>command...that is not a status requesting..the transceiver
>will respond either with a code indicating OK  or  NO GOOD.
>etc."
>
>Hope that answers the question. Unfortunatley,  this part
>of the Omni manual reads as if the writer had no idea
>what "transceiver"  he was writing about,  and perhaps
>had no idea what one did?  Just a guess.
>
>I got started on all this with my Omni after reading all
>the rave reviews of how neat it was to operate the
>Pegasus from the computer.  Guess the Omni can't
>quite be operated in a similar way.  After experiencing
>the TRX management of my FT-1000,  I had hoped
>the same would be possible for the Omni VI+.
>
>73,  Jim,  KH7M
>

>--

Steve Bookout, NR4M (ex NJ4F)
Rapidan Data Systems

'DX4WIN...The way logging programs should be!'
Free demo at http://www.erols.com/pvander