[TenTec] Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus
From: k7kj@teleport.com (Greg Hodsdon)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:58:22 -0800
The ARRL article is interesting; my comments follow:

1. With regard to receiver performance, the numbers will be out when the
full review is done by the ARRL and then comparisons can be made.
However, my experience with the Pegasus is that the receiver is an
excellent performer. After spending a few hours and over 150 QSOs in the
cw sweepstakes and working plenty of dx on both cw and phone (all
continents, Spratly Isl on 3 bands, and a 3W6 this morning on 20m)
through pileups, the receiver definitely holds its own. Selectivity,
sensitivity and signal rejection are more than adequate. QSK is better
than my Omni 6+.

2. Frequency can be input directly by using the keyboard on both the
Pegasus and RX-320.

3. I don't understand the comment regarding the lack of a "speaker" jack.
Maybe the reviewer should retire his old Hammarlund speaker console.? I
have a set of powered computer speakers plugged into the "line out" jack
and the audio is outstanding. Even the built-in speaker is very
good....better than most radios.

4. If the reviewer doesn't like where the line out, accessory jack and
serial connectors are located, I suggest that he turn the Pegasus
around.? I suppose then he would comment that the heat sink and ground
connector are now on the "front panel". Let's face it, the Pegasus is a
box. There's no reason for it to even be on the operating desk.

5. I notice the reviewer's "pod" is different than mine. My pod has the
interconnect line on the back side of the box and a "TT" logo above the
keypad.

6. The TenTec logos on both my "pod" and Pegasus do not have the orange
disk. The disk is now black. Did TenTec run out of paint or is this a new
corporate image?

TenTec has introduced an innovative and excellent performing transceiver
for under a $1000. I think this product is right on target.

I do have one "wish list" item TT should make available as a Pegasus
accessory. Currently there is no capability to remotely band switch the
Hercules II amplifier or external antennas. I would think this could be
accomplished relatively easily with a relay box and software update.

Greg, K7KJ
Portland, OR

?