[TenTec] ssb

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] ssb
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (John - G3JAG)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 06:49:54 -0000 (GMT)
I have an Omni-V; it sounds the same if I run the RF gain much above 3
pm. I usually keep the audio gain around 9 am. But even with the
attenuator switched in, the racket during a contest obliges me to back
off the RF gain even further. This is NOT an Omni-V fault.

In the early days of SSB, most stations took great care to have clean
signals. There were very few guys around with bad signals, and they
were very quickly told exactly what they were doing wrong. In the last
15 years (at least) this went out of the window. Its now perfectly
NORMAL to hear cruddy SSB signals everywhere, especially during
contests. So back off the RF gain, turn on the attenuator and hope for
the best. Some of the signals will still be over-driven, over-processed
and hardly intelligible. But their owners think they are doing a great
job clearing a frequency for themselves .....

Or learn CW.

P.S. during contests it also normal to find guys way outside the SSB
allocation. They bring the crud with them.

John G3JAG

E-Mail: John - G3JAG <patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk>