[TenTec] 540 vs. 544 Triton

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 540 vs. 544 Triton
From: aa8ve@juno.com (JEFF S JOHNSON)
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 15:12:21 -0500
Bill ,
I've never had a chance to run an analog Triton so I can't comment on the
performance although at the low end of audio gain on an impossibly quiet
band, there would be the lack of any whine from the digital readout. I
noticed this on my 544 but I had to hunt for it through a pair of cans
and never hear it when in use on the air.

 As far as tuning I would think as long as you have a crystal calibrator
it is as easy as a digital once you get use to it. The digital counter is
only good to the nearest 100hz anyway.  In the future if you do want
digital just get the outboard unit.

 Heck fire there's about 50 different ways to look at this, if it's in
good condition that's another point.  If you got the Jack buy both of
them otherwise flip a coin!   I think from a resale point of view the
digital would be easier to sell, they just about always are.

I do have a few old analog rigs and in fact enjoy tuning around on them,
I've never had a problem looking for a freq and don't think they would be
the same if they had numbers staring at me.  Plus it's a lot of fun
explaining how it all works to my son, kind of like the day I whipped out
my old 'Sterling Slide Rule'  whoop speaking about ol' Goats...

73  Jeff  aa8ve