[TenTec] watt meter calibration

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] watt meter calibration
From: aa8ve@juno.com (JEFF S JOHNSON)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 14:08:45 -0500
Here's something someone may be able to help me on.   Alex AI2Q brought
up a good point about the differences in standard HV or other meters for
that matter in ham gear. I know they are not meant to be highly accurate
meter systems and there is some variance in resistors, meter movements
and so on.  On my Ten-Tec line  Omni-V, Centurion, 238, all the meters
are close but none read the same at say 100 watts carrier.  I don't know
which one is correct either, there may be 20% or more difference over all
between them and that is quite a bit.

I have an RF probe made per ARRL hand book with a 1N34A diode which is
good to about 20 volts.  I use it for alignments and such.  With 20 volts
RF into a 50 ohm load I have 8 watts carrier out. This is pretty close
with what I have on the watt meters as well but too low to calibrate
from. Can I put 10 of these diodes in series and run the RF volts to 200
volts and expect to get 80 watts on the watt meter? Is this an accurate
way to calibrate an RF watt meter or is there a better way?

Thank you  73 Jeff aa8ve   "power here is ah  uh well mmm I guess... how
copy?