[TenTec] The 1220 decision...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] The 1220 decision...
From: caitlyn@netferrets.net (Caitlyn Martin)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:47:45 -0500
Hi, everyone,

The 1220 decision was made for me.  Nobody was willing to part with a built
one.  I really appreciate all the replies and opinions that appeared in my
inbox.  I also really, really appreciate the honesty of people on the
reflector.  Though we all like Ten Tec as a rule, some of you really don't
care for the 1220/1230/1260 series of rigs.  Every so often (like when I've
bought something from someone on the reflector) the integrity of this group
really shines through.

My final decision was to do something absolutely, totally impractical.  I
have a couple of old, dead, ancient Icoms from the 70's.  Tonight they go
off to be repaired, thanks to a helpful local ham.  I already am using an
IC-22A on the base, and lately it's been going out to the car, too, which is
a pain.

The rig normally sits in the mounting kit that attached it to the top of the
IC-3PA speaker/power supply to make an integrated base rig.  Well...  it's
going out to the car instead, and an even older IC-22 is going back into
service in it's place.

In case y'all haven't figured this out yet, I like older, simpler rigs.
There's something neat about the analog dials and the incandescent bulbs
that can be seen in any light, and two meter FM rigs that just don't do
intermod.  It's really a pity that neither Ten Tec nor Drake ever made any.
(The ones that say Drake on them are actually Trio/Kenwood rigs.)

Anyway, this was perhaps not the cheapest solution (especially after adding
a couple of sets of crystals and a PL board), but it's a fun way to do it,
and it's sure better for the environment :)  For those of you shaking your
heads about now thinking "she's nuts", well... ask the folks who restore od
Ten Tecs about what I'm doing.  Somehow I think they understand :)

BTW, if a 1220 does turn up later within my budget, I'll still buy it :)

73,
Caity
KU4QD
(just call me "The Analog Girl" if you want)