[TenTec] Hercules II Power Source

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Hercules II Power Source
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (John - G3JAG)
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 02:09:24 -0000 (GMT)
The power gain is not necessarily exactly the same for different Herc
IIs. The final transistors are matched by TT, but two sets may well not
have the same gain. TT can and do adjust the gain, but only into the
same ballpark, not to complete identity.

It is also affected by the actual voltage reaching the finals, as
opposed to what the PSU puts out. When you say 14 volts from the 9420,
that is the voltage each rail should be set to internally, at the
respective capacitor terminals. TT say not to set it any higher (to
compensate for voltage drop in the cables) as that will upset the
control circuitry. It follows that the voltage at the finals will
always be less than 14. How much less depends on the resistance in
circuit. In my case, I discovered that there was at least one
intermittent dry joint in the Herc II distribution/relay board. The
effect was to create a spectacular imbalance in the amplifier, one pair
of finals getting practically no power under load.

Incidentally the dry joint was apparently not a recent development; it
may have been responsible for the self-destruction of two finals some
time back.

If you see low gain, then it may be worth opening the Herc up and
checking carefully for any problem in this area. I re-soldered all the
rivetted connections, relay terminals etc. on the control board after
measuring some strange variations in standing current (I think it
should be exactly 1/2 amp per set of two finals - the individual DC bias
voltages are NOT a reliable guide to actual idling current). I also had
this intermittent and humongous voltage drop for one pair under load.

Its a tedious job and needs a large soldering iron, but in my case it
was well worth the effort.

John G3JAG

E-Mail: John - G3JAG <patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk>