[TenTec] Heatsinking and fans....was: Pegasus - horizontaloperation?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Heatsinking and fans....was: Pegasus - horizontaloperation?
From: RMcGraw@blomand.net (Robert & Linda McGraw)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 21:28:46 -0600
I've used the Paragon and my Omni on extensive RTTY contests without
failure of the radio.  Yep, the radio does get hotter than I'm
comfortable with.  However, during one evening of hot RTTY activity, the
power supply lost a bridge rectifier.  It was mounted on the bottom
panel of the PSU and did not have thermal compound between the bridge
device and bottom panel.  I replaced the bridge device and added a
liberal amount of white thermal compound.  No problems since.

I agree that pushing the PA devices to the higher temperature limits
will shorten their lives.  This is a fact of silicon devices.  I've
added a 12V fan, low speed 7 blade model so it isn't noisy, to both my
Omni and my 961 PSU.  Those small high speed jobs sound like a mad bee.
I've found that slow moving air is more effective than a job that tries
to blow the heat sink off the radio.

According to specs from Tentec, "the radio is rated for 100% duty cycle
for 20 minutes.  Continous duty with customer supplied air cooling of
the rear panel heat sink".  The PSU is rated at 22 amps for 5 minutes.

73
Bob K4TAX