[TenTec] Pegasus - horizontal operation?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus - horizontal operation?
From: paul@amtelco.net (Paul N. Henning)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:31:34 -0600
The heat sink on the Pegasus has its fins in a vertical plane. Although heat
does not rise, air which is warmer then the surrounding air does rise. The
combination of vertical heat sink fins and thermodynamics (warm air rising)
will result in greater convection air flow over the heat sink fins then if
the heat sink had its fins horizontally oriented. This increased airflow
WILL result in lower heat sink temperatures with the heat sink in the
vertical plane then in the horizontal. This much is fact physics is hard to
argue with. How much cooler is really the question. If Ten-Tec did their
homework they designed the system with enough heat sink to provide
sufficient cooling in either orientation. If you doubt the Ten-Tec answer it
would be a simple procedure to measure the temperature with the Pegasus in
both positions.

A side issue which may be more important to you is what you intend to stack
on top of the Peg. From past discussions on the list the Peg seems to be
sensitive to noise from some computers, monitors and power supplies. I have
not personally experienced any of these noise related problems.

I do like my Peg!

73
Paul N. Henning
WA9HHT