[TenTec] Accuracy (long)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Accuracy (long)
From: cherry@neta.com (Jim FitzSimons)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 18:08:20 -0700
Jan, I have been doing 0.1ppm for a long time. Long before digital
readouts the ARRL had a frequency measurement test. It is a lot
easier now. 0.1 ppm which is 1 Hz at 10 MHz. The fastest way to get
a frequency measurement of 0.1 ppm at 2.5, 5, 10, 15, and 20 MHz
WWV or WWVH is to use the sound card. Tune 1000 Hz high in LSB
or 1000 Hz low in USB and look at the frequency with digipan or some
other sound card FFT program. Select AFC so the program locks on the
carrier. The frequency readout is good to 1Hz. I checked that with a
frequency counter. You can use a lower frequency like 100 Hz offset
and get even more resolution. As I write this I am measuring 1010.8 HZ
using MixW FFT software on a Pegasus tuned to 10.001 MHz LSB. It
measures 994.5 Hz tuned to 9.999 MHz USB. That is a 1ppm error
on LSB and 0.5 ppm on USB. This with N4PY Pegasus sotware.
The error is getting less as the Pegasus warms up.
Regards, Jim FitzSimons W7ANF