[TenTec] d-104 and omni V

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] d-104 and omni V
From: geraldj@ames.net (Dr. Gerald N. Johnson)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:02:49 -0600

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
>      Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 14:49:00 -0600
>      From: "George T. Baker" <w5yr@att.net>
>      Subject: Re: [TenTec] d-104 and omni V
>
>      Carl, when I bought my first D104 in 1947 (I still have and
>      use the one
>      my wife bought me as a birthday gift in 1955) I really
>      wasn't aware that
>      it had been made for CB radios. But, you may be right since
>      I clearly
>      remember using it on NBFM on the 11-meter band in 1948 and
>      making a few
>
> In 1948, how much deviation was 'narrow band'?

Just enough to have the bandwidth of AM without the second order
modulation products. Sounds super copied exalted carrier on a SSB radio.
Used to do that on the bottom of 2m. Also tends to prevent AM detection
TVI. And its still legal on HF ham bands. As the FM modes split channels
and get narrower on 2m, those that talk softly "to save the finals"
don't deviate as much as we did on NBFM.

<SNIP>

73, Jerry, K0CQ