[TenTec] Question on 253 auto tuner

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Question on 253 auto tuner
From: ditzian@alltel.net (Jan Ditzian)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 18:16:49 -0400
Dan Newby wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the general specs of this tuner?  Power capability, does
> it cover 160m, impedance matching range, etc.  What are they selling for
> now days?

Mine handles 1500 watts, subject to the comments to come next.  It works on
160, if the antenna is not far off, but it does not really have an adequate
size coil for 160.  I don't know the impedance matching range, but it has tuned
a 5:1 down to usability.  However, and this is its major problem, in my mind,
if the voltages get too large inside the unit, the relays will arc, especially
under high power.  This was a problem on 160 and sometimes 80, like when trying
to get a CW antenna to work at phone frequencies.

> I would like to use one to tune a 260 ft long dipole fed with ladder line
> up to the eve of the house. There it would connect to a balun and have
> about 10ft of coax run in to the tuner. It would be nice to have an auto
> tuner that has memories for band settings. Don't know if the tuner is that
> smart.

I have a similar setup.  It handles an 80 dipole fed with ladder line through
10 feet of coax and a balun outside the house, and puts it on all bands, except
for 160, at 1500 watts.

73,
Jan, KX2A