FW: [TenTec] TITAN/TS850 Hookup

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: FW: [TenTec] TITAN/TS850 Hookup
From: CAlderma@ora.fda.gov (Alderman, Chester)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 14:27:38 -0400
Sri, my addressing got messed up!

-----Original Message-----
From: Alderman, Chester
Sent: April 20, 2000 2:02 PM
To: 'owner-tentec@contesting.com'
Subject: RE: [TenTec] TITAN/TS850 Hookup

Brian,

        I'm assuming you have your own reasons for not wanting to use the
QSK relay features in the Titan amp, however, if you don't use what is
designed in the Titan, you will have to make some circuit changes. Since
1992, I have been using my Titan with a Corsair II, Omni 6, and an IC-781
and running full QSK CW at speeds in excess of 100 wpm. Almost nightly now
on 80 m I run the Titan full QSK CW up to about 80 wpm. All I'm saying here
is that true full QSK capability is available in the Titan as it sits. When
I use my IC-781, I run my keyboard into the Titan and from there the keying
goes to the xcvr. There are several relays in the Titan, all of which must
be closed, before your xcvr is keyed. This prevents hot-switching of the
vacuum relay antenna switch in the Titan.
        If you change the circuitry in the Titan such that you key your
TS850 first, you will run the risk of blowing the vacuum relay (by
hot-switching), the band-switch (RF arcing), and probably blowing one of
both tubes ($375 each).
        By the way, even though the PTT/QSK switch is on the front of the
Titan, you do not have to push that switch when you change from CW to SSB,
etc. provided you connect the interface wiring correctly.

Tom/W4BQF