[TenTec] Intermittent Pout, Corsair II

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Intermittent Pout, Corsair II
From: kh7m@hsa-kauai.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 09:49:00 -1000
Hi again,

Called Paul at TT Service as planned this morning.
He had me do a couple of things,  then asked that
I hang up,  and test the Corsair using a direct
hook up between my Bird 43,  with a 100 watt
slug,  and from their direct to the Bird "coaxial
resistor",  aka dummy load,  hi.  This to eliminate
possible intermittents in the antenna/coax set up.
Used different coax in the test set up.

Result:  once again,  upon Corsair turn on,  only
18 watts reading on the Bird when in Corsair Lock
position.  Switching to SB-N would bring the power
out up to 92 watts,  and the collector current (per
the Corsair meter) would increase from around 7A
to 15 A.

Called Paul back.  He had me jiggle both the band
switch and the mode switch,  no impact on P out.
Rig was in the 18 watt, 7A condition when I called.
He suggested I "bop" the top of the Corsair;  did,
immediately the power popped up to 92 watts,  and
the collector current jumped back up to 15 amps!

Paul said,  "Ok,  you have a connection intermittent
somewhere!".  Advised to open the rig,  and again
check all the push on interconnects,  board seatings,
hold down nuts,  etc.  But at least the cause of the
problem type is identified.  So shall now begin the
search for a not quite perfect interconnect in there
somewhere.

Guess shipping these boxes back and forth some 5000
miles has cost beyond the Fed Ex cost,  hi.

73,  Jim,  KH7M
On Kauai