[TenTec] Re: Omni VI+ Squeaky Tuning

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Omni VI+ Squeaky Tuning
From: kh7m@hsa-kauai.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 13:16:06 -1000
Aloha,

And thanks to Jerry,  Dave and Roy,  each of whom
described exactly what to do!

By Jerry:

>   Take the rubber grip off and use an allen wrench to
>   remove the knob.   I run mine with out the felt pads
>   No squeak at all.

By Roy,

> ....disabling the "wipers" and replacing 'em
>  with a glued on layer of cotton from an aspirin bottle.
>  Tension is then adjusted merely by moving the knob closer
> or farther from the panel. It is velvety smooth and absolutely silent.

And,  by Dave:

>  Pull the boot off the knob.  The boot is the black ring around
>  the knob.  You will find a allen screw and it can be loosened
>  by one of the allen wrenches you reveived with the VI+ and
>  you can remove the knob. You will find that you now can
>  adjust the tension as needed and when done, replace the boot.

After getting to the inside of the knob,  I adopted Jerry's
approach:  just removed the two tiny felt pads.  Now a
very light tension,  in fact none imposed external to
the tuning mechanism inside the case, and no squeak!
I had the bottle top cotton right here,  but decided to
try without it for now.  Seems great!

Thanks again for the very rapid response,  and "fix"!

73,  Jim,  KH7M